FNM report 21/3/07 part 1

another dismal performance.



at least this time i had koo and melvin to accompany me instead of being the 'only one' there. having friends is not so bad you see.

on to the report.
Round 1 i was paired against kevin playing monogreen elves.
bad news.
very bad news.

so far i have never managed to take a game from him while playing uw merfolk.
the raw speed and disregard for conventional big spells make for very hard times for my deck which relies on cheap creatures which beat while i handle whatever you throw my way with counterspells.

bad news.

game 1 was a rather boring affair.
he got out a wren's run vanquisher early with a lot of little guys for backup
i get out double silvergill adept and a lord of atlantis, trading my adept for his vanquisher.
i then try to swing to try and kill garruk which would be active for an overrun next turn.

then he drops the hammer.
maindeck cloudthersher.
let me repeat that.
maindeck cloudthersher.

he blocks the adept with his cloudthersher.
i knock down my life total to 17.
next turn i am tapped out.
he casts overrun and activates kill garruk's overrun, letting him bash in for 20+ damage off just his cloudthersher and a boreal druid.
i scoop up my lands and move to game 2.

sideboarding makes things interesting as i bring in 4 moat effects, 1 teferi's moat and 3 magus of the moat, as well as 4 flashfreezeflashfreeze for rune snag's and sunlances.

game 2 i get an aggro hand and dump out 4 merfolk in 1 turn on turn 4, killing off his garruk, and a cryptic command off the top of my deck on my next turn tapping all his blockers and swinging in for lethal damage seals a blazing fast game 2 even though he casts lignify on my lord of atlantis.

i made a possible misplay in this round.
instead of dumping all my merfolk on the table, i should have left a tideshaper mystic in hand to use it to tap down blockers on my next turn since i had 2 merrow reejereys on board.

no changes to the sideboard and off to game 3.
now this was probably one of the most embarrassing games of magic that i have ever played.
numerous brain farts
just the highlights then
resolving turn 4 magus of the moat should have been gg.
but he plays lignify on it and swings.
i take 5.
next turn i cast cryptic command tapping his creatures and bouncing the magus to my hand, making the lignify fall off.
then i recast the magus, hoping to ride it to a win eventually

then, a second lignify
lignify
yes
i died to lignify


of all the undignifying things
almost makes me want to quit magic
so so embarrassing.



0 comments: